Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Around the Work Place

A co-worker suggested I start a DIY blog when she saw what I had done to spruce up the store I manage.  I said, well everything's already been done, but I supposed I could show it off.  So here it is, my first post. 

I manage Corks N Canvas's Metairie location.  When I took over it was sterile and the only fun decorations were the paintings we have hanging all over our walls.  So I made this clock:



I bought the clock itself from World Market (I wasn't about to try and figure out how to do the electronics) and the rest is really just paint.  Acrylic on the face and sealed with a spray lacquer and the hands were painted with a sign painter's paint known as One Shot.  I L-O-V-E One Shot.

I also made this cork board. 



So many beautiful corks.


I had been saving up corks for about a year; hoarding them every time a customer left one out on a table or tried to throw one away.  This baby is 4.5 x 3 feet.  It's huge and amazing.  I built the frame out of plywood and one by two's and painted it in our signature red color.  Then I used this fantastic glue called "Weldbond" to hold all those corks in place.  I lost count while I was gluing them in but I guesstimate about 2,000 total. 

Then there are these tables.




I didn't actually make them so much as re purpose them.  The bigger one that houses the stereo was here and the tiny one under the vases I found at TJ Maxx.  Oh and I also found these fabulous vases at TJ's as well.  Only $15.99 each, such a steal!  They both just got slapped with some acrylic and spray lacquer.

Same goes for this check in sign...



Apparently it was very confusing as to where one would need to check in.  Clarification in a cute way.
And what about this face in hole board?



I don't know what you would actually call this, but face in hole board wors for me.  I didn't actually do any heavy labor on this.  That was all, Nate so you'd have to discuss building plans with him.  I did however, paint the facade.  

Last but not least there's my open and closed sign.  




An old fashioned palette bought from my local art shop.  Painted the lettering, made it look like a palette in use, drilled some holes, and added ribbon.  

Well, that's that.  I think I did a pretty spiffy job considering I'm still working on navigating blogspot!

No comments:

Post a Comment