Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cake Toppers

Wedding planning is truly in full swing and I had my first stress dream the other night.  It was horrible!  The power was out in Storyland, the caterers and DJ didn't show up on time, and on top of all of that I had neglected to put together my centerpieces and bouquet.  I was furiously arranging paper flowers in my poofy dress FREAKING OUT and yelling at my mom to let the guests know that it wouldn't be too much longer.  Fortunately, this will not be happening in real life; but if it were to, I could rest easy knowing that I have some killer cake topppers!

I didn't make these beauties; my incredibly talented friend Amber did.  Amber and I met at while we were both selling at the Freret Market back in October.  I instantly fell in love with her gorgeous little figures and asked if I could commission her to do my cake toppers.  She agreed!

Amber and I both have Etsy stores so we sent messages back and forth with updates.  I started off by sending her a picture of Nate and I and a sketch I did of what I was picturing based on her work.  I wanted them to look some what like Nate and me and I included what I decided out distinguishing facial features would be.


After she had the pieces all built up with the air drying clay she uses, she sent me an update with the raw forms.



I squealed with excitement, told her I loved them and she got to painting.  When she had them all painted up she sent me this update and asked if I wanted the crackle glaze.


I had a small heart attack of excitement and I said yes, crackle them!  We made arrangements for me to pick them up.  Once I had them in my possession, I had a photo shoot with them on my kitchen counter.





Could they be any cuter?!  I don't think so.  Amber did a fantastic job and I can't wait to have them sitting a top my cake come October.  To check out more of Amber's work, mosey on over to her Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/amberleilani?ref=pr_shop

3 comments:

  1. You should make these into Salt and Pepper shakers for after the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here for any freak outs, but I used to have them too! I forgot to get a present for my Dad at Christmas, I didn't study for a test when I had exams, all kinds of crazy worries.....notice I said crazy? You will have the BEST wedding because you are an artist that thinks of all the little details.
    I loved Amber's things I got at Freret Market; Harry's half and half and my most favorite snowman ever. THESE toppers are amazing and very unique, just like you and Nate and your wonderful imaginative wedding. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Shannon! These are just the best. I love them!!

    ReplyDelete